How to Get a Divorce Court Order Modified


Sometimes a divorce agreement can become problematic months or even years after the divorce itself. Changes to things like income, finances, or childcare can all make the present agreement suddenly seem outdated and unhelpful. If that happens, did you know you can get the original agreement changed? Here's how.

Talk to Your Ex-Spouse

Before you go straight to your attorney, sit down and talk to your ex-spouse. Often, changing the agreement becomes much simpler and less stressful if you both agree on the modifications ahead of time. If not, it can be a good idea to hire a mediator to have someone who can smooth things over.

Look into What Can and Can't Be Changed

Things like property agreements are generally much harder to get modified. Most states either won't modify them at all or only give a month or two after the initial settlement to modify. If this is the case, it's better to not have a costly and drawn-out case. However, child custody or spousal agreements can generally change.

Demonstrate Circumstantial Change

Once you have agreed on what you want to change and how, you need to be able to demonstrate to the court that there is a reason--financial, circumstantial, etc.--for them to grant the change to the order. Once you have, you should be able to secure the modifications you need.


Leave a Reply